Saturday, May 18, 2013

Champions of Europe.

I can still feel it.

The anticipation, the excitement, a mixture of feelings that made my body uneasy. It was still 1-1 when the time at the top left corner showed 90:00. Three minutes injury time was added and if nothing changed, we would be heading for extra-time. I wasn't focusing on the game anymore. The voice in my head was screaming "Come on Chelsea! Let's do this!". Two minutes passed. Still 1-1. I stared at the screen with my teddy bear held close to my chest. Time was ticking. One. Two. Three. Four... We were running out of time.

That's when I saw it. A header by Ivanovic in the 93rd minute that won us the title. The corner kick was taken by Mata whose ball found Ivanovic. The latter then rose in mid air and sent the ball past Artur, Benfica's goalkeeper. GOAL! A beautiful header by Branislav Ivanovic!

Jumping and screaming "Goal!" were my immediate actions. Then I realized it's midnight and my family was soundly asleep. I sat back down and tried to calm myself down but it was impossible. So much emotions were trapped inside me trying to get out. I raised my hands and whispered "Yay!!!" with a smile on my face. A wide one. I felt tears in my eyes.

We did it. We won the UEFA Europa League. We are the champions. I can't precisely describe what I was feeling that night. Part of me felt sad for Benfica for losing seven European finals in a row. They never gave up and fought strongly until the very last second. Seeing the players and fans shed tears for their team made my heart ache. Hats off to Benfica and their fans! However, I was very proud of Chelsea as well. They are now the champions for both Champions League and Europa League. I wanted to laugh, cry, scream and jump at the same time. It was too hard to contain my excitement.

When the players lifted the trophy, I could not hold back my tears anymore. Although many think that winning the Europa League is not as great as winning the Champions League, it is still an honour to be European Champion again. If there were words that I could use to describe last night's experience, I would.
So proud of my team!

No comments:

Post a Comment